This recipe is based on Alex Goh's (Magic Bread) method of using both overnight sponge dough as well as gelatinised dough. Both have to be prepared the night before as they need to be refrigerated for at least 12 hours before they are kneaded into the rest of the ingredients for the main dough.
This seeded loaf is loaded with nutritious and scrumptious ingredients such as wholemeal flour and four types of seeds (chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds) that give a tasty crunch. It makes a great toast too.
(A) Gelatinised/Scalded Dough:
80g wholemeal bread flour
75g boiling water
(B) Sponge Dough:
100g wholemeal bread flour
1/4 tsp instant yeast
(C) Main Dough:
350g white bread flour
30g chia seeds
20g black sesame seeds (lightly toasted)
10g white sesame seeds (lightly toasted)
30g pumpkin seeds
30g sunflower seeds
2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp instant yeast
20g condensed milk
35g egg white
165g cold milk
30g Rice Bran oil
Egg wash & topping
beaten egg whites
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp black & white sesame seeds
2 tbsp poppy seeds
- (A) Add boiling water into flour and mix until well blended to form a dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- (B) Mix yeast and water together. Add in flour and mix to form a dough. Let it proof for 30 minutes; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine all ingredients in (C) except oil together. Then add in (A) and (B); knead until well combined. Gradually add in oil. Continue to knead until dough is smooth and elastic and passed the window pane test.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with clingwrap. Place it in a warm place to allow the dough to rise until doubled.
- Once the dough has doubled, knock back the dough by gently kneading a few times. Remember, you only want to knock out any large air bubbles; so too much handling at this stage will make the dough lose its lightness. Divide dough into two equal portions. Shape into balls, cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- Flatten the dough into rectangle. Fold both shorter ends into the centre and make a quarter turn, then flatten again into a rectangle. Starting from the short end, roll up tightly.
- Combine all the extra seeds (for topping) on a plate and roll the doughs in them.
- Place the two rolls into a greased loaf tin. Using a sharp knife make a few diagonal slashes on the loaf, deep enough to open up slightly. Cover and let it proof again until almost double.
- Brush the dough with egg whites and sprinkle liberally to coat surface with mixed seeds.
- Bake loaf in a preheated oven of 180 deg C for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove bread from the pan immediately to cool on a wire rack.