Recipe adapted from Joceline's Ondeh-Ondeh
100g purple sweet potato mash
150g glutinous rice flour
1 tbsp tapioca starch
1/2 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tbsp oil
80g grated pure coconut sugar/gula melaka or palm sugar
100g grated coconut
pinch of salt
- To make the dough, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and knead into a wet dough.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Pinch a small piece of the dough (about 20g) and drop into the boiling water. Cook until it floats to the surface, scoop it out and knead the cooked dough into the wet dough until a smooth dough is formed. Add extra glutinuous rice flour if the dough is too sticky. Cover dough with clingwrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the grated coconut with salt and steam for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into portions of 15g each.
- Flatten the dough and fill with grated coconut sugar. Seal the edges and roll into a ball.
- Cook the filled dough in a pot of boiling water, once it floats to the surface, let it cook for a further 3 - 5 minutes to ensure that the sugar is melted.
- Remove the balls with slotted spatula and drain. Roll in the steamed grated coconut to coat evenly.