700g taro (grated coarsely)
1/2 tsp five-spiced powder
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp chicken stock granules
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp cooking oil
250g rice flour
40g wheat starch
30g tapioca flour
1.25 litre water
150g dried shrimps, washed and chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
5 shallots, finely sliced
spring onion, sliced finely
ground toasted peanuts (optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan and saute shallots and garlic until fragrant; remove from pan. Then lightly fry dried shrimps. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a separate pan, mix the rice flour, wheat starch, tapioca flour and water. Stir to ensure there are no lumps in the mixture. Then add in seasoning and stir well to combine.
- Cook batter over low heat until mixture thickens. Add in grated taro. Mix well.
- Steam on high heat for about 45 - 55 minutes or until cooked. (There will be liquid on the surface, just leave it as it will be absorbed as the cake cools and prevents the surface from drying out).
- To serve, sprinkle with fried garlic, shallots, dried shrimps and chopped spring onions.