Butternut pumpkins are pear-shaped, with pale brown skin and bright orange flesh. They have a sweet, slightly nutty flavour. They can be roasted, puréed for soup, stir-fried, and also be used in baking cakes or bread.
Don't you love the beautiful colour it gives to the bread?
250g bread flour
60g mashed pumpkin
1 small eggs
30g caster sugar
80g homemade Almond Milk (adjust accordingly)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
30g Rice Bran oil
- Cut pumpkin into cubes. Steamed until soft and mash with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast together until well blended. Add in eggs, almond milk and mashed pumpkin. Using the dough hook, knead until it forms a slightly sticky dough.
- Then add in oil. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and placed in a bowl covered with cling wrap. Leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled.
- Punch down to expel trapped air. Divide into 2 equal portions.
- Rest for 10 mins.
- Flatten the dough and then roll up like Swiss Rolls.
- Place the rolls on a greased loaf pan slightly apart. Cover with cling wrap and leave to proof until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
- Bake for 25 - 30mins or until golden brown.
- Brush the loaves with melted butter.