Ingredients: [Makes 10 medium-size parcels]
4 dried lotus leaves
- Blanch dried lotus leaves into boiling water for about 2 minutes.
- Wash and drain the leaves. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut away the tough part near the base of the stem, then cut the leaves into thirds.
450g glutinous rice, washed and drained
400 ml water
3 cloves garlic, minced finely
2 shallots, sliced thinly
Seasoning for the rice:
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
- Heat about 3 tbsp oil and stir fry minced garlic and shallots until aromatic, then put in glutinous rice and fry for about half a minute. Then add in seasoning.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, stirring continously.
- Add in water and stir well. Transfer into a steaming tray.
- Steam glutinous rice for about 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Fluff up the rice with a pair of chopsticks.
200g chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
5 pieces dried shitake mushrooms, soaked to soften and cut into halves
50g dried shrimps, washed and soaked to soften - finely chopped (or you can leave them whole)
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, sliced thinly
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
ginger juice (extracted from 20g ginger, grated or pounded)
dash of pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
- Marinate chicken pieces with marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a wok and sauté minced garlic and shallots until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Stir fry dried shrimps until light brown and aromatic, add in a little of the sautéed garlic and shallots and stir to combine. Dish out into a bowl and set aside.
- Fry mushrooms with a little oil and some sautéed garlic and shallots, add water and a little seasoning. Cook until softened. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- With enough oil, stir fry marinated chicken pieces with sautéed garlic and shallots until half-cooked. Dish out into a bowl and set aside.
In order for my rice parcels to be consistent in size, I used a rectangle bowl (8 x 10 cm).
- Place a layer of rice at the base of the bowl, then place chicken, mushroom and dried shrimps; top it with more rice.
- Invert the bowl onto the lotus leaf (I placed a small piece of bamboo leaf onto the lotus leaf). Form a square parcel.
- Steam the rice parcels on high heat for about 30 minutes.