On the same day that I made the white Mini Sausage Bread Rolls, I also made another batch using the bread dough for Kopitiam Milk Buns . However, this time I substituted the plain bread flour with wholemeal bread flour; still soft and fluffy.
(A) Overnight Sponge Dough: Mix into a dough and leave overnight in the fridge:
215g bread flour
145g fresh milk
2g instant dried yeast
(B) Bread Dough:
100g wholemeal bread flour
30g fresh milk
30g egg (lightly beaten)
7g instant dried yeast
60g caster sugar
12g milk powder
45g Rice Bran oil
18 mini frankfurts, lightly grilled egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water)
white sesame seeds
black sesame seeds
- Bring the overnight dough to room temperature.
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the overnight dough (cut into small pieces) together with all the ingredients in (B), except the oil.
- Knead until it forms a slightly sticky soft dough. Gradually add in oil. Continue to knead until smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a smooth ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with clingfilm. Then place it in a warm, moist and draught-free place to allow the dough to rise until double.Once the dough has doubled in size, press down gently on the dough to deflate it.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface. Divide equally into 18 portions. Roll them into balls, covered with cling wrap and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Working with one piece at a time, using a rolling pin, flatten each ball of dough into an oval shape. Roll the dough into a cylinder. Rest for about 10 minutes. Then using a rolling pin flatten the dough into a triangular shape. Place a sausage on the wider end of the (triangle) dough and roll up.
- Place rolls on a tray lined with baking paper, covered with cling wrap and leave to rise until almost doubled (80 - 90%).
- Preheat oven to 170 deg .
- Brush egg wash on surface of the rolls and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.