Recipe Source: Mui Mui
Ingredients: (Makes 12 cupcakes)
60g corn oil (I used Rice Bran oil)
100g top flour (I used plain flour)
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg whites
90g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Mix oil and milk together in a medium bowl, place it over a double-boiler, cook under low heat. Stir well. Remove the bowl from the heat when the mixture turns warm.
- Add in egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well with a balloon whisk. Add in vanilla extract and stir well to combine.
- Fold in sifted flour and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- In a clean and dry mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with a handheld mixer until soft peaks form. Add in sugar, in three additions and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Add one-third of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture and whisk lightly until it is well incorporated. Next, using a rubber spatula fold in gently the remaining meringue in two batches.
- Fill the cupcake casings up to 3/4 full and bake in a preheated oven at 140 deg C for 20 minutes, then 150 deg C for 15 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are removed from the oven, bang the cupcakes on the benchtop once - to prevent the cupcake from shrinking. Set aside to cool completely before piping the whipped cream into the cupcakes.
Whipped fresh cream:
150g thickened cream
14g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat cream with icing sugar until firm. Transfer into a piping bag and pipe the whipped cream into the cupcake.