Recipe Source : My Kitchen Snippets with slight changes
Ingredients: (Makes 21 buns)
240g plain flour
60g icing sugar
60g cooking oil
240g plain flour
120g butter, cut into cubes
egg wash (1 egg, beaten)
white sesame seeds
- Water Dough: Put flour and cooking oil into a food processor and Pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough water to form a soft dough and lifts away from the food processor. Remove and wrap the dough in cling wrap. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Oil Dough: Put flour and butter into the food processor and Pulse to form a dough. Wrap with cling wrap. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide both dough into 21 equal portions.
- Flatten the water dough and wrap oil dough in it. Shape into a ball. Using a rolling pin, flatten it and roll into an oblong shape. Then roll it up swiss roll style. Turn 90 degrees and using the rolling pin, roll it out again into an oblong shape. Then roll it up swiss roll style. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Flatten the rolled dough with your palm and using a rolling pin, roll out into a round disc. Place filing in the centre and pleat to seal the bun. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the buns.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180 deg C for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Fillings:
300g BBQ pork (Char Siew) - cut into small cubes
3 shallots, diced
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water
- Heat about 1 tbsp oil, stir fry shallots until fragrant. Add in BBQ pork and the rest of the ingredients, except thickening. Fry for about 2 - 3 minutes. Add in sesame oil.
- Pour in cornflour mixture, stir to combine and until the gravy has thickened. Dish out and let it cool. (or refrigerate it overnight)