Recipe Source: Corner Cafe's
(Makes 16 buns)
Water-Roux Paste (湯種):
25g bread flour
- Mix flour and water in a normal saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously until it reaches 65ºC (should thickened to a paste at this stage) and when you stir you can see the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and place a cling film over the paste (making sure that it touches the paste) and leave until lukewarm before using.
375g bread flour
100g plain flour
35g milk powder (omitted)
75g caster sugar
3/4 tsp salt
7g instant dry yeast
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g (approx.) lukewarm water
40g butter (substituted with 40g Rice Bran oil)
1 tsp pandan paste
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine bread flour, plain flour, yeast, caster sugar and yeast into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the water-roux paste, then gradually add in the lukewarm water to form into a slightly sticky soft dough. Add in salt and continue to knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Add in oil gradually and continue to knead until fully incorporated. At this stage, the dough should be able to stretched to form a thin membrane before it breaks.
- Take out half of the dough. Add pandan paste into the other half and knead to combine.
- Form the two pieces of dough into balls and place them in a greased stainless steel bowl. Cover with a cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough doubled in size.
[To test if the dough has risen properly, dip a finger into bread flour and poke into the centre of the dough. When you pull your finger out, the hole should remain. If the dough springs back, then it should be proved further.]
- Punch down the dough to knock the air out. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the two pieces of dough and stack them together. Roll up tightly to form a roulade. Cut into 16 pieces and roll into balls.
- Place the buns onto a greased baking tray and cover with greased clingfilm. Leave them to proof until the buns nearly doubled in sizes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Bake the buns for about 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once they out from the oven, brush the top with melted butter.