400g cooked chickpeas
1/4 tsp seasalt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp cooking liquid **
2 tbsp lemon juice (to taste)
1/2 cup sesame seeds- lightly toasted
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight.
- Rinse the chickpeas and add to a pot of boiling water. Cook until very soft.
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve the liquid for later **
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan under low heat. Keep stirring and fry until light brown. Set aside to cool.
- Grind the toasted sesame seeds in a blender into a fine powder.
- Put cooked chickpeas in the food processor and blend. Gradually add in reserved liquid (from chickpeas). Continue to blend until smooth.
- Add in garlic, lemon juice, sesame powder, oil, salt and pepper. Add more liquid if required. The paste should be thick and creamy.
- Serve hummus with pita bread or crackers.