Adapted from Anne Burrell's Tiramisu recipe on Food Network
15 sponge fingers
250 mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese)
300ml thickened cream
120g caster sugar
1 cup espresso coffee + 2 tbsp caster sugar
1/4 cup marsala / kahlua / tia maria liqueur
- In a metal bowl, combine the egg and caster sugar. Beat well to combine. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (ensure that the bowl does not touch the water). Beat the egg until thick and pale.
- Remove bowl from the double boiler and continue beating until the bottom of the bowl feels cool.
- Add in the mascarpone and beat until combined or smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip thickened cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the mascarpone mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine espresso coffee and the liqueur. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Dip the sponge fingers in the coffee and line the bottom of a baking dish. Spread one third of the chilled mascarpone mixture over the sponge fingers.
- Repeat this process and finishing with a layer of mascarpone mixture.
- Cover with clingwrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, dust cocoa powder over the top.