This is a fuss-free recipe which is perfect for a relaxed get-together with family and friends. And no cutlery required - that means less washing and cleaning! Remember there is a saying about good food tastes better when eaten with the hands? Just get lots of napkins ready and wrap your hands around these mini burgers and dig into the tender and juicy pork loaded with crunchy coleslaw.
This is a very simple recipe that uses 4 main ingredients - pork shoulder, root beer (I substituted with Sarsaparilla), onion and garlic. Put everything into a slow cooker and let it braise for at least 6 hours and you'll have the most tender and juiciest meat. This no-fuss recipe makes enough to feed a crowd of 7 - 8 people.
1.5kg pork shoulder
375ml Sarsaparilla (equivalent to Sarsi in Asia)
1 big onion, cubed
3 cloves garlic, smashed
freshly ground black pepper
salt, to taste
375ml barbeque sauce (of your favourite brand)
20 mini Hawaiian Buns (or any bread roll of your choice)
- Sear the pork in a frying pan until brown on all sides.
- Place the pork, onion and garlic into the slow cooker and pour Sarsaparilla over the meat.
- Cover and cook on High heat for at least 3 hours then turn down to Low heat and let it cook until the meat is tender.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred it using 2 forks.
- Drain liquid and set aside (to be added into the shredded meat if it is too dry).
- Return shredded pork into the slow cooker and stir in barbeque sauce.
- Continue heating on Low heat for a further 30 - 45 minutes. Or keep warm until serving time.
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
- Toss everything together.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.