Ingredients: (Makes 15 cupcakes)
150g butter - softened
120g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 eggs, at room temperature - separated
50ml orange juice
zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time and make sure that each egg is completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the next one.
- Fold in flour alternately with the orange juice, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir until just combined and the batter is smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold about a third of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it; then fold in the remaining whites until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into paper cases.
- Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
Please refer to Wendy's beautiful and smooth Swiss Meringue Buttercream