I loved the soft and fluffy texture of these buns. Instead of using potato I used sweet potato which gives a light tinge of orangey to the buns. This recipe is a keeper. Thanks to Jane and Sabrina for sharing their Potato Buns recipes.
250g bread flour
50g mashed sweet potatoes (kumara) - cooled
1 small eggs
50g caster sugar
70g fresh milk (adjust accordingly)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
20g butter, softened
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast together until well blended. Add in eggs, milk and mashed sweet potato. Knead until it forms a slightly sticky dough.
- Then add in butter. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and placed in a bowl covered with cling wrap. Leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled.
- Punch down to expel trapped air. Divide into 8 equal portions (or required weight).
- Rest for 10 mins.
- Flatten the dough and then roll up like Swiss Rolls.
- Place the rolls on a greased baking tray slightly apart. Cover with cling wrap and leave to proof until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
- Brush rolls with egg wash and sprinkle some cheese or sesame seeds over the top. Bake for 15 mins or until golden brown.