Adapted from here.
300g plain flour, sifted
90g wheat starch, sifted
2 tsp yeast
50g caster sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
180ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp Rice Bran oil
2 tsp baking powder + 10ml cold water
- Combine together plain flour, wheat starch, sugar and yeast in the mixing bowl of an electric stand mixer attached with dough hooks.
- Pour in lemon juice and lukewarm water. Knead until combined.
- Add in oil and knead until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Cover the dough with damp cloth or clingfilm and leave it in a warm place to rise until it is doubled in size.
- Dissolve baking powder in cold water and sprinkle over the dough. Knead well to combine. (Note: Make sure that the baking powder is fully dissolved and kneaded well into the dough, otherwise there will be yellowish spots on the steamed buns).
- Divide the dough into 13 equal portions (about 50g each). Roll each piece into a ball and cover with a damp cloth. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough, wrap about a tablespoon of filling in the centre. Pleat the dough to seal. Place it on a square baking paper and rest for 10 minutes before steaming.
- Arrange buns on a steamer, leaving a gap between the buns. Spray water mist over buns.
- Steam in a preheated steamer on high heat for 12 - 13 minutes. (Note: Add several drops of white vinegar into the steaming water to produce whiter buns).
- Remove buns from steamer and cool on a wire rack.
500g jicama (yam bean), juliened
50g dried shrimps, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp cornflour + 1 tbsp water (thickener)
- Heat oil and saute the garlic and dried shrimps until aromatic.
- Add in jicama and fry until soft.
- Season with salt and lots of white pepper. Add in cornflour mixture to thicken.
- Set aside to cool.