A recipe taken from Okashi Sweet Treats Made With Love by Keiko Ishida with slight modification.
Ingredients: (for a 20cm chiffon)
5 egg yolks
70g soy milk
70g cake flour
1 vanilla pod (scrape the vanilla bean out)
pink colour gel
5 egg whites
85g caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Gradually add in oil, water and vanilla bean. Beat until well combined.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in the egg yolk mixture in a slow and steady stream.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the flour/egg yolk mixture in 3 batches.
- Divide the batter into two lots and add in colour.
- Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until cook.
- Remove cake from the oven and invert the pan to cool.
- Unmould the cake when it is completely cool.