1 whole chicken (about 1.2kg), clean and pat dry
1 1/2 - 2 cups light soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce (optional)
1 cup water
1/2 cup Mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
1/4 cup Shao Hsing wine
15g rock sugar
1 star anise
1/2 cinnamon stick
dash of pepper
2 cloves garlic (smashed)
2 slices ginger
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken and bring to the boil again. Reduce heat. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 45 minutes (or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of a thigh is pierced with a skewer or chopstick), turning over once or twice. Baste the chicken with the sauce for a minute or more each time you turn it over.
- Remove chicken from the pot. Strain the cooking liquid (soy sauce mix).
- Once the chicken is cool, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve chicken with the sauce.