A bowl of piping hot curry laksa (albeit a cheat's version) especially on a cold wintry day sounds like heaven. There are a few brands of Curry Laksa paste available in the market but my favourite brands are Chilliz and Tean's Gourmet - which I always have in my pantry. I prefer to use home-made chicken stock instead of water for my Laksa broth.
3 cups chicken broth
500g 'lai fun' (rice noodles) - blanched in boiling water for 1 minute, drained
choy sum - blanched in boiling water
bean sprouts - blanched in boiling water
tofu puff ("tofu pok") - halved
fish cake/fish balls
2 hard boiled eggs, halved
mint - for garnishing
150ml coconut cream (or more if prefer creamier laksa)
1 packet of Chilliz Curry Laksa paste
lime (cut into wedges) - optional
- Boil chicken stock and add in laksa paste and stir well.
- Add in tofu puff and cook for about 5 minutes; then add in fish cake/fish balls. Bring to the boil.
- Pour in coconut cream and stir well.
- Put a handful of the noodles, choy sum and bean sprouts in a bowl, then ladle hot laksa broth over the noodles.
- Garnish with hardboiled eggs and mint.
- Serve with sambal belacan on the side.