180g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
250g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
50 ml sour cream
50 ml fresh milk
1 peach, remove stone and sliced
a handful of blueberries
slivered almonds or almond flakes
Note: If you are using desiccated coconut, add extra 50 ml sour cream or milk
You can replaced peach with nectarines or pears or strawberries.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a 20cm round pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift flour together with salt. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream and milk in a jug. Set aside.
- If you are using frozen grated coconut, defrost it and set aside.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer for about a minute and gradually add in sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Then add in vanilla extract.
- Fold in flour and grated coconut, alternately with sour cream and milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Gently place fruits on the batter and scatter slivered almonds over.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. (I baked mine for about 1 hr 15 min)
- Leave the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.