Take advantage of the sweet berries which are in abundance this time of year by making a perfect springtime dessert loaded with sweet, plump blueberries and big red juicy strawberries.
about 5 - 6 large strawberries, cut into quarters
a handful of blueberries
125g butter, softened
90g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
115g self-raising flour, sifted
30g almond meal
50g orange juice
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Grease and line the base of a 20cm ring pan.
- Combine flour and almond meal together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and lime zest until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time. Then add in vanilla extract.
- Fold in flour mixture and orange juice. Mix well.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Place strawberries and blueberries on the batter and scatter almond flakes over.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until cooked. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.