This dish actually tastes better than it looks. It is usually cooked with dried shrimps but for a vegetarian dish, I substituted dried shrimps with mushroom. You don't have to follow the recipe exactly, just follow your instincts.
about 400-500g yam, diced
60g golden mushroom meat (processed Monkey Head Mushroom)
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, minced
1 stalk spring onion, finely cut, for garnishing
salt, sugar & pepper - to taste
enough water for braising
- Blanched the processed mushroom and drained. Cut into smaller pieces.
- Heat about 2 tbsp oil and lightly fry the taro cubes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, saute the shallots and garlic until fragrant. Then add in the mushroom. Toss in the yam and fry.
- Pour in enough water to cover the yam. Bring to the boil and season with salt, sugar and pepper. Lower the fire and simmer until yam is soft and gravy thickens.
- Season with more ground pepper if you wish. Garnish with chopped spring onion and serve hot.
|processed monkey head mushroom|