Recipe Source: Alex Goh's Japanese Cream Bread taken from Magic Bread
120g bread flour
85g boiling water
380g bread flour
75g caster sugar
8g instant yeast
120g cold milk
100g whipping cream (I used thickened cream)
1 cold egg
(E) Mixed together:
25g butter, softened
25g condensed milk
- (A): add the boiling water into the flour, mix until well combined to form a dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Refrigerate dough for at least 12 hours.
- (B): Mix all ingredients until well combined. Add in (C) and knead to form rough dough. Add in (A) and knead until well combined.
- Then add in (D) and continue to knead until an elastic dough is formed and passed the Window Pane Test.
- Place the dough, covered, in a warm place to proof until double in size.
- Punch down and knead lightly. Roll the dough into a rectangle and using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips. Brush (E) mixture liberally on the first strip of dough and place a second strip over the first one. Repeat until you get a stack of 4 strips.
- Then cut the stack crosswise through all the 4 layers, into 6 equal rectangles. Arrange the rectangles vertically into a 20cm chiffon pan that had been greased with (E).
- Cover and let it proof until almost double in size. Brush (E) over the top and sprinkle (F) over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for about 25 minutes.