When we talked about Italian food, instantly we think about pasta, pizza, risotto, etc. And at the mention of Italian dessert, Tiramisu comes to mind immediately. Tiramisu which means "pick me up" is a popular dessert found on almost all the Italian restaurant menu.
To celebrate the first day of summer in Melbourne, I am serving Tiramisu as dessert for lunch, yes lunch! as we can't wait until dinner ;-) The authentic Tiramisu recipe usually calls for raw eggs but since I am not a fan of using raw eggs in my cooking or desserts, I decided to go with an eggless recipe.
Ingredients: [Pyrex rectangle dish (2.6L) approx 17 x 22 cm]
250g mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), softened
250ml fresh cream
110g caster sugar
1 cup strong coffee
- Combine the coffee with Kahlua and leave it to chill in the refrigerator.
- Whip fresh cream until stiff and chill in the refrigerator.
- Whip cheese with sugar until cheese is smooth. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Quickly, dip sponge fingers into the coffee mixture and arrange in a single layer in the glass dish. Spread cheese mixture over. Lay another layer of sponger fingers and top with cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, sieve a layer of cocoa powder over the tiramisu or garnish with chocolate shavings.