1 kg cucumber (skin on, halved lengthwise and remove seeds and cut into 3cm strips)
500g carrots (peeled and cut into 3cm strips)
800g cabbage (cut into chunky pieces)
600g cauliflower (cut into small florets)
800ml white wine vinegar
4 tbsp salt
4 tbsp sugar
Pounded ingredients:10 shallots
10 cloves garlic
thumbsized fresh tumeric
thumbsized fresh galangal
2 stalks lemongrass, sliced finely
2 tbsp hot chilli powder
100g dried shrimps (soak 10 min and drain - pounded)
Seasoning: (adjust quantity of ingredients to suit taste)
1 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3 tbsp fish sauce
roasted peanuts, pound
lightly roasted sesame seeds
- Sprinkle salt over cucumber slices. Toss well. Set aside for about 30 minutes. Rinse off the salt. Squeeze out excess liquid. Do the same with carrots.
- Bring 'blanching mixture' to the boil. Blanch cabbage and cauliflower separately for about 15 seconds. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a wok and lightly fry the pounded dried shrimps. Transfer into a bowl and set aside. Add more oil into the wok and fry the pounded ingredients until aromatic. Stir in the pounded dried shrimps and seasoning. Adjust the taste accordingly. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Add all vegetables into the wok and stir well. Keep refrigerated.
- Add in peanuts and sesame seeds before serving.