After baking a batch of friands which used only egg whites, I decided to make this lemon butter cake using the remaining egg yolks. Recipe adapted from Joyofbaking.
Ingredients: (all at room temperature)
6 egg yolks
180 ml milk
60ml lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
zest of 1 lemon
icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
- Grease molds with butter. (You can also use a bundt pan or any other pans)
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla and 1/4 cup milk.
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix on low speed.
- Add butter and remaining milk and lemon juice and mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Increase to medium speed and beat for about 2 minutes to aerate and develop the cake's structure.
- Gradually add in egg mixture in three additions; beating about half a minute after each addition.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 - 45 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for about 5 minutes before removing.
- Dust the cakes with icing sugar before serving.