Recipe source: Nasi Lemak Lover
6 slices cheddar cheese (120g), tear into pieces
100g butter, softened
6 egg yolks (about 59g each)
85g plain flour
15g rice flour
6 egg whites
80g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 150° degrees C. Grease and line a 7" square pan.
- Put about 1" of water to a saucepan and bring to a very gentle simmer. Place a bowl on top of the saucepan so that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Add the cheddar cheese and butter to the bowl and stir occasionally with a spatula until melted and smooth. Add in milk and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- In another mixing bowl lightly beat egg yolks. Add one third of the cheese mixture into the egg yolks and mix well. Then add in the rest and mix to combine.
- Sift flours into the egg mixture and mix to combine.
- In a clean and dry bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix one third of the meringue into the cheese mixture and mix with a balloon whisk to lighten the batter.
- Gently fold in the rest of the meringue in two batches. Mix well.
- Pour a layer of the batter into the prepared pan and sift cocoa powder over it. Gently pour another layer of batter over the cocoa powder (you don't have to level it). Then sift cocoa powder over the batter. Repeat the process.
- Place the cake on the lower rack of the oven and steam bake (place a bowl of hot water on the floor of the oven) for 1 hour 20 min or until cooked.
- Turn off the oven and let the cake sit in the oven with the oven door ajar for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately unmould the cake and let it cool on a wire rack.