|... soft and spongy texture ...|
A recipe adapted from Tested & Tasted
32g rice bran oil
20 dark chocolate melts
4 whole eggs (216g without shells), room temperature
1 egg yolk (17g), room temperature
90g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
105g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
10g cocoa powder
20g fresh milk
Cream Cheese Frosting:
110g cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp icing sugar
3/4 cup thickened cream
1/2 tbsp lime juice
- In a small saucepan, heat up oil and then add in chocolate. Stir the chocolate until fully melted. Set aside.
- Sift plain flour, baking soda and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line the base of an 8" round cake tin.
- Beat whole eggs, egg yolk, caster sugar and salt until it doubled in volume. Then add in honey and continue to beat until pale and thick (ribbon stage).
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately over the egg mixture in two batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix on low speed until just blended.
- Take one-third of the batter and mix into the oil mixture. Then pour it back into the batter and fold gently to combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until cake is done.
- Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, drop the pan from a height of about 20cm (this is to prevent the cake from shrinking).
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from the pan.
- To make the frosting: Using a stand mixer, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add in icing sugar and lime juice; whisk to combine. Then add in cream and beat until frosting is thick.
- To assemble and frost: Using a serrated knife, slice the cake into two layers. Sandwich the two layers with half of the cream cheese frosting and spread the remaining frosting over the top. Grate chocolate over the frosting before serving.