Aren't these edible flower arrangement gorgeous? Served them as dessert and I am sure your guests would be wowed by these pretty tarts. They are actually quite easy to make. I must thank Lorraine of 'Not Quite Nigella' who recently shared this amazing recipe (The Most Magical Apple Flower Tarts). Hop over to her blog to watch her step-by-step video tutorial on making these pretty roses using apple slices.
[Makes 6 tarts]
1 red apple
1 green apple
a large bowl of water with lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)
1 tbsp jam mixed with 1 tbsp water
3 tsp almond meal
1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry
a little plain flour to roll the pastry
icing sugar for dusting
6 cupcake cases
- Place cupcake cases into muffin pan. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Cut the apples in half and core them using a melon scoop. Leave the apple skin on.
- Using a mandolin, slice the apples. Then cut them in half.
- Place the apple slices into the bowl of lemon water.
- Then microwave the apples until they are pliable (about 4 minutes). Drain the apples and rinse with cold water to cool them. Dry the apple slices with paper towel.
- Flour a clean surface and roll out the puff pastry lengthwise so that it becomes longer. Cut into 6 long strips. Brush with jam and sprinkle some almond meal over the jam.
- Line the apple slices on half of the pastry strip so that they slightly overlap each other. Fold over the pastry to cover the bottom half of the apple slices.
- Then start rolling up from one end to the other to form a flower.
- Place each tart into a cupcake case. Bake for about 45 minutes until the pastry in the centre is cooked.
- Dust icing sugar over the tarts and serve with ice cream.