4 (about 300g) potatoes, cut into thin strips
60g carrot, cut into thin strips
50g Sichuan preserved vegetable, cut into thin strips
65g red capsicum, cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
2 shallots, chopped finely
2 dried chilli, cut into half and soaked to soften
1/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 sprig of coriander leaves,cut into 2 cm lengths
1 tbsp black vinegar or to taste
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
- Soak potato strips in a bowl of cold water for about 5 - 10 minutes and rinse to wash away the starch. Repeat three times. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a wok until hot, toss in the Sichuan peppercorns. Discard the peppercorns immediately once they smell aromatic. Toss in the dried chillies and chopped garlic and shallots and fry under medium-low heat until fragrant.
- Add in potato and carrot strips together with Sichuan preserved vegetable and stir fry on high heat for about 5 minutes. If they begin to stick to the wok, add a little water. Add in seasoning and keep frying until the potato strips no longer taste raw but still a little crunchy. Lastly toss in the red capsicum strips and drizzle in sesame oil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Before serving, sprinkle some toasted sesame over the potato strips.