250g butter, softened
90g caster sugar
5 egg yolks
210g self-raising flour, sift
4 1/2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg whites, bring to room temperature
80g caster sugar
(C) Mix all together:
8g cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
2 tbsp hot water
pink food gel
- Lightly grease a 8" round cake tin. Line the base with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until pale, light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time and make sure that each egg is completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the next one. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Fold in flour alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir until just combined and the batter is smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold about a third of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it; then fold in the remaining whites until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter into 3 portions. Add a small amount of pink food gel to one portion and stir until well combined. Add mocha mixture into another portion and stir to combined.
- Place alternate spoonfuls of the 3 mixtures into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Leave the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.