125g sifted cake flour (I substituted with self-raising flour)
300g castor sugar (I reduced to 220g)
1½ cups egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract (I omitted this)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, sift together 150g of sugar with flour. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, lemon juice and salt. Continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Sift the flour mixture into the beaten egg whites and fold gently. Do not over fold the batter or it will deflate.
- Pour the batter into a 25cm tube pan. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven, invert the pan.
- Allow the cake to completely cool before removing the cake from the pan.