Ingredients: (Makes 13 in muffin cases)
200g butter - softened
180g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
5 eggs, at room temperature - separated
1/2 cup coconut cream + lime juice
zest of 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 150 - 160 degrees C.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time and make sure that each egg is completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the next one.
- Fold in flour alternately with the coconut cream mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir until just combined and the batter is smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold about a third of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it; then fold in the remaining whites until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into muffin cases.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.