Recipe adapted from Carol Easy Life
(A) Overnight Sponge Dough:
120g plain flour
1/4ts instant dried yeast
80g lukewarm water
(B) Main Dough:
100g Overnight Sponge Dough
225g plain flour
75g wheat starch
15g caster sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
180g fresh milk
- (A) Overnight Sponge Dough: Mix everything together and knead into a smooth dough. Cover and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine all the ingredients together, except oil.
- Knead until it forms a slightly sticky soft dough. Gradually add in oil. Continue to knead until smooth and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Shape the dough into a smooth ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap. Then place it in a warm and moist place to allow the dough to rise until doubled.
- Punch down by pressing the dough out evenly with your hands to release the air.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Cover and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough and roll into an oval shape. Brush with oil and make a few slits (make sure you don't cut right up to the end of the dough); then twist it gently around your thumb and index finger and tuck the end underneath the bun.
- Place the bun onto a square piece of baking paper. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Cover and proof until almost doubled.
- Steam mantou in medium-high heat for about 15 minutes.