Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Braised Beef Brisket

Ngau Lam

 



Ingredients:

850g beef brisket, trim excess fat and cut into chunks, blanched in boiling water
2 daikon (white radish) peeled and cut into chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
50g (approx) ginger, chopped
cooking oil 
water
salt & ground black pepper, to taste

Put these aromatics into a tea bag: 
1 tsp coriander seeds 
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 star anise
1 sassia bark or cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1/2 tsp white peppercorn
1 piece dried mandarin peel

Sauce: 
2 tbsp Chu Hou sauce (柱侯酱)
1 tbsp rock sugar
3 tbsp chinese cooking wine
3 tbsp light soy sauce

  • Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a big saucepan, fry beef brisket until brown on all sides.  Transfer onto a plate and set aside.
  • In the same saucepan, with a little more oil saute ginger, onion and garlic until fragrant.  Then put in the brisket, spices and sauce.  Add enough water to cover the meat.  
  • Bring to the boil.  Then lower the heat and simmer for an hour.  Add in daikon and carrots.  Continue to cook for at least another hour or so until beef brisket is soft and tender.  Add more water if sauce starts to dry out.  Season with salt and ground black pepper.  
  • Serve with steamed rice or noodles.






9 comments:

  1. Good day Veronica
    I guess Im the first again. Ooo....Im drooling looking at your beef brisket....i love beef brisket alot and also anything that is braised or stew. These are my family all time favourite as they love one pot dish. I have never come across this Chu Hou paste before. I think i got to open my eyes next time Im at the supermarket shelf. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mel, you are the first again to visit. Thank you for your support and encouragements. FYI I haven't seen this Chu Hou sauce in Malaysia either. This sauce is basically fermented soybean paste, sugar, garlic, sesame paste, white fermented bean curd, salt, ginger and some flavour enhancer. Maybe you can make your own Chu Hou sauce.

      Delete
    2. Hi Veronica
      I will try to google search to get the exact measurement ingredients to make my own this Chu Hou sauce. I really never heard of this sauce before....so curious.

      Delete
  2. Hi Veronica,
    This braised beef brisket look so so good!!
    My husband love braisd beef brisket and use to eat out. Now with your wonderful recipe i can cook for him myself.

    I don't think i have seen LKK 桂候酱here. If i can't find it here, can i replace with other sauces??
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui, please refer to my reply to Mel (above) regarding the ingredients in the Chu Hou sauce. I am sure you make your own.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Veronica.
      I think I have to make my own Chu Hou sauce to enjoy this recipe :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Victoria, I made braised beef brisket before but not with Chu Hou sauce . Looks very delicious. definitely love to cook this dish for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica, I love, love, love, beef brisket! I can eat it on its own and the carrots and daikon make for great veges. I use LKK sauces but have never seen this Chu Hou Paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PH, please refer to my reply to Mel on the above regarding the Chu Hou sauce. I am sure you can make your own.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I always love reading your thoughts and comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...