Source: Amy Beh (with some slight changes)
For bottom layer:
75g rice flour
25g mung bean flour
250ml coconut milk
a few drops of pandan paste
soda bicarbonate solution (¼ tsp water mixed with ¼ tsp soda bicarbonate)
For top layer:
50g rice flour
1½ tbsp mung bean flour
½ tsp salt
225ml coconut cream
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour and mung bean flour with water and set aside for 15 minutes. Then add in pandan paste, sugar and soda bicarbonate solution; mix well.
- Set the bowl of flour mixture over boiling water and stir continuously with a balloon whisk until batter becomes fairly thick.
- Pour the hot batter into a greased 20cm round pan. Smooth and level the surface with a spatula. Steam over boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the top layer - mix rice flour, mung bean flour, salt, water and coconut cream to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes. Gently pour the mixture over the cooked bottom (green) layer.
- Steam for a further 10 minutes.
- Cool the kuih completely before cutting.