130g pitted dates
40g dried cranberries
240ml orange juice
zest of 1 orange
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
85g brown sugar
110g self-raising flour, sift
1 tbsp cocoa powder
50g dark chocolate, chopped
- Grease a deep 14cm square baking tin. Line base with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine dates, cranberries and water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and add in bicarbonate of soda. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Process the dates mixture in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until pale in colour. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add in orange zest.
- Fold in flour and cocoa powder. Stir in dates mixture and chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until cake is cooked.
- Remove cake from the oven. Prick holes all over the surface of the cake and drizzle some butterscotch sauce over the top. Return cake to the oven. Bake a further 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream.
120g coconut sugar, shaved (or brown sugar)
1/2 cup cream
- Combine butter and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolved. Let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Finally, stir in cream.