Monday, December 3, 2012

Spicy Glutinous Rice Rolls (Rempah Udang)

A cheat's version of Rempah Udang ~



A very popular nyonya kuih which is known as Pulut Panggang, Rempah Udang or Lemper Udang - glutinous rice rolls filled  with spicy coconut and dried shrimps (or fresh prawns) wrapped in banana leaves and then grilled.  

For my convenience, I used sushi mould to make my rice rolls.  And since I didn't have any banana leaves, I just served them without grilling. However, nothing beats the traditional Rempah Udang as the grilled banana leaves impart a lovely fragrance. 


Ingredients:

Rice mixture:
400g glutinous rice, washed and drained
375ml coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
pandan leaves  (knotted)

 Filling:
100g dried shrimps, washed, drained and chopped finely
70g dessicated coconut, toasted and ground
1 cup coconut milk
Oil 

 Seasoning:
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
dash of pepper
fish sauce (to taste)


Ground spices:
4 shallots
3 cloves garlic
1 stalk lemon grass, sliced
2 candlenuts
1 tsp chilli powder

  
  • Mix glutinous rice, coconut milk, salt and sugar together.  Put in pandan leaves. Steam for about 30 minutes until cooked.  Remove from steamer and set aside to cool.
  • Heat oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the dried shrimps until aromatic.  Set aside.
  • Fry the ground ingredients until fragrant.  Add in dried shrimps, ground dessicated coconut and seasoning followed by coconut milk.  Cook until dry.  Set aside.
  • Using sushi mould, press in glutinous rice and then put in filling.  Cover filling with more rice and press down firmly.  
  • Unmould the rice rolls and serve them on a plate.  



 


18 comments:

  1. One of my favourite kuihs! I've always wanted to make this but wasn't quite sure of the recipe. Thanks for posting! If it's a cheat's method, I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this is the easy way for someone who really craves for it even if some ingredients are missing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Veronica, it's okay without the banana leaf. Most important in the rice and the aromatic filling. Good idea to make it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Kimmy. As long as the taste is there, no banana leaf never mind :)

      Delete
  3. very easy rempah udang you have made, great idea when we could not find banana leaves..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...so yummy~~~
    It really makes me feel like take a big bite out of the Rice Roll.
    hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Veronica, I love this kuih too and buy them whenever I have a craving for some....you are very clever to improvise:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky that you can buy them whenever you have a craving.

      Delete
  6. Hi Veronica!! I have not tried the traditional version before but yours looks good enough for me!

    You are into traditional kuey lately huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veronica, are these in sushi size? I think I had this b4 in Malaysia, not very sure! Wishing you a Merry Christmas as I'm going to take a "blog break" for 5 weeks! See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessie, I used the sushi mould bought from Daiso. Very convenient and easy. You have a wonderful Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Veronica,
    The important part of this kueh is the coconut glutinous rice and the sambal prawn filling. Yours looks just as delish without the banana leaves :D
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui Mui, you are right; it is all in the filling.

      Delete
  10. Veronica, this is so good! The rempah udang filling is simply sensational. And how innovative of you to use the sushi mould!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH, lazy people like me always like to take the short cuts, ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, looks much easier then the banana leave method!! I always shy away from Kuiih like these because of the wrapping involve haha! Love the Daiso sushi case, definitely a quick and easy tool for us fast pace ppl! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I always love reading your thoughts and comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...