Thursday, November 29, 2012

Kuih Talam



Source:  Amy Beh (with some slight changes)

For bottom layer:
75g rice flour
25g mung bean flour
280ml water
250ml coconut milk
180g sugar
a few drops of pandan paste
soda bicarbonate solution (¼ tsp water  mixed with ¼ tsp soda bicarbonate)

For top layer:
50g rice flour
1½  tbsp mung bean flour
½  tsp salt
75ml water
225ml coconut cream


  • In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour and mung bean flour with water and set aside for 15 minutes.  Then add in pandan paste, sugar and soda bicarbonate solution; mix well.  
  • Set the bowl of flour mixture over boiling water and stir continuously with a balloon whisk until batter becomes fairly thick.
  • Pour the hot batter into a greased 20cm round pan.  Smooth and level the surface with a spatula.  Steam over boiling water for about 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, prepare the top layer - mix rice flour, mung bean flour, salt, water and coconut cream to combine.  Set aside for 10 minutes.  Gently pour the mixture over the cooked bottom (green) layer.  
  • Steam for a further 10 minutes.  
  • Cool the kuih completely before cutting.  

20 comments:

  1. Nice kuih, don't mind having it for my breakfast now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica, this is one of my many favourite local kueh. Your kuih talam turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH, I believe many people (especially Malaysians) loved kuih talam too. I do think the texture is not too bad, although I must admit I'd already forgotten how'd the authentic kuih talam texture like, heehee!

      Delete
  3. Good to indulge in kuih once in awhile....and this Kuih Talam is also one of my favourite... I hardly make kuih as I usually buy it at the shop. If I make at home cannot finish....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, we also couldn't finish the tray of kuih talam I made, so I had to give away to friends. My kids are not fans of kuih.

      Delete
  4. Hi Veronica, I love to make this kuih but can never get such pure white colour for the coconut topping. Any advice what kind of coconut milk I should use to get this colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I used Ayam Brand coconut cream. I'd add some water to it if coconut milk is required.

      Delete
  5. Hi Veron, this sounds simple and looks yummy for me to attempt. Like the way you cut the kuey into diamond shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chef! Actually I never thought making kuih talam would be that simple.

      Delete
  6. Veronica, actually I never do kuih talam in my life before, I am always thinkIng of give it a try but just couldnt justify doing it if I'm the only one eating the whole tray of kuih. Yours talam looks nice,. Thanks for sharing Amy 's recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, this is my first attempt in making kuih talam and boy, was I glad it turned out ok! As my kids are not really great fans of kuih, I had to share with friends who appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. Minty~~
    Nice!!! may i ve some frm u??
    thx!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Veronica,
    Nice and pretty Kueh Talam your have here. Like your kueh talam the white and the green parts are so neatly layered. I like Amy Beh's recipes too. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mui Mui. I think Amy Beh has some wonderful recipes and thanks to her, we can all share.

      Delete
  9. I have never attempt kuih talam at home before, is this recipe good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I believe this recipe is quite good but then I've forgotten how the authentic kuih talam should taste like, I mean the texture.

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of mung bean flour, can I replace mung bean flour with another flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can substitute with tapioca starch.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I always love reading your thoughts and comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...