125g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
40g almond meal
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (I used Meyer lemons)
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to moderate (about 160 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan; line base with baking paper.
- Sift flour and almond meal together. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Then add in orange zest and vanilla extract.
- Fold in flour and almond meal mixture alternately with the lemon juice, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Leave the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
Meyer lemon is believed to be an orange/lemon hybrid, which has rounded, thin-skinned yellow/orange fruit, with sweeter and less acidic juice than most other varieties of lemon.