450g white "00" flour
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
50g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
150ml warm milk
50ml warm water
1 egg, beaten
50g butter, melted
extra 25g softened butter
100g craisins (dried cranberries), finely chopped
100g walnuts (toasted), coarsely chopped
a handful of flaked almonds (toasted) to decorate
2 tbsp peach jam
- Place flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Make a well in centre. Pour in warm milk, warm water, beaten egg and melted butter.
- Mix to form a dough, starting with a wooden spoon and finishing with hands. If dough is too dry, add a little more warm water or if it is too wet, add a little flour.
- Knead dough until smooth and springy (it shouldn't stick to your hands). Transfer to a clean, lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with a clean, damp tea towel. Stand in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a deep 23cm cake pan.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for a few seconds. Roll out to a 20cm x 30cm rectangle. Spread extra softened butter evenly over dough, then scatter with craisins and chopped walnuts. From one long side, roll up firmly like a Swiss roll. Cut into 8 slices and arrange in the prepared pan, cut sides up. Cover with a clean, damp tea towel and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (about 20 min).
- Bake buns for 10 mins, until starting to brown. Reduce oven temperature to 160 degrees C. Bake for another 10 mins, until golden.
- Heat jam and 1 tbsp water in a small saucepan on medium-low heat until melted. Brush buns all over with jam, then scatter with almond flakes.
- Serve warm.