750g coarsely grated radish
100 ml water
100g dried shrimps, washed and chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 shallots, sliced
oil (about 2 tbsp)
Optional: Chinese sausage, dried mushroom - finely diced
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp chicken granules
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
200g rice flour
20g wheat starch
20g corn starch
- Cook grated radish with 100ml water in a pot over low fire until radish turns translucent (about 10 - 15 minutes). Set aside to cool. Squeeze out excess water from the radish.
- Prepare the batter by mixing all the ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and saute shallots and garlic until fragrant; remove from pan. Then lightly fry dried shrimps. Add in the cooked radish, seasonings and the sauteed shallots and garlic. Stir well to combine.
- Lastly pour in the batter and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Transfer the thicken batter into a greased pan and smooth the surface. Steam on high heat for about 45 - 55 minutes or until cooked. (There will be liquid on the surface, just leave it as it will be absorbed as the cake cools and prevents the surface from drying out).
Cake can be served as it is or pan fried and best eaten with chilly sauce.